23cm Isolator enclosure

Nice simple machining job to enclose a 1.3GHz RFCI drop-in isolator (three-port circulator with a dummy load on the third port) and act as a heatspreader in case of a load fault. I had bought six RFSL2347s direct from RFCI, but only needed three. They can handle 200W CW, 1kW peak and 100W CW dissipation.

I sold two and this one was spare. I ran up a CAD design in Fusion360 to get the dimensions right, but then made it on my manual Bridgeport mill.

CAD drawing with transparent lid
Finished body with N sockets and isolator
With the lid, showing the 8-24 UNC hole for a feedthru capacitor from a diode to detect if there is any dissipation in the load from a mismatch on the output port
Underside of the body. 4.3mm clearance holes allow it to be bolted to a heatsink or chassis

Fusion360 stress simulation

I ran a quick test in Fusion360 to look at the stresses around holes in a 1 metre aluminium boom with a large hole in the top and a cross-hole, with one end of the boom fixed and 200N on the other end. Just testing the facility to see how it works.

Boom stress at 0-200N force. Red means bad times, likely to snap

Ideas for a 3.4 and 10GHz feedhorn

I’ve been trying out some ideas for a feedhorn that uses the dielectric-horn POTY approach with a 22mm circular guide for 10GHz suspended in the mouth of a 9cm horn. Quick video of the idea shows some issues, like it only works with the coax feed to the 10GHz horn when it is cross-polarized. Needs a lot more thought, but I needed to do this sketch to get it clear in my head. The outer tube is almost transparent in this rendering. It is 180mm long and 68mm OD. The open end of the 22mm tube will have an HB9PZK dielectric lens and the 68mm tube will have a thin dielectric plastic disk with a hole to support the 22mm tube. Hopeless like this though because of the cross-polarisation issue. More thought needed.

Lathe headstock spindle spider

I needed a spider to support long workpieces out of the back of the headstock spindle. I had a bit of EN8 round bar so I used that. Bored to 42mm to match the spindle ID, then counterbored to fit the spindle OD. I used a 1mm slitting saw to form a clamp and milled out pockets for a couple of M3 caphead bolts. Bored out a hole in the end of three M8 cap bolts and made brass inserts. Works a treat.