I made a video on Youtube about making a lantern chuck which I needed to grip a batch of M5 cap screws so I could machine a domed end to the threaded shaft, then polish them. A few folks have asked for the drawings. If I made another of these, I’d probably make the brass collar 10mm longer and the openings 15mm longer, and maybe make the collets slightly smaller. I don’t have a drawing of the insides of the shaft, it is just a simple magnetic hex-socket fitting as used to hold screwdriver bits, in a hole reamed to be a sliding fit. I milled a slot in the side and fitted a dog-point grub screw to prevent rotation, then used another grub screw in an M6 tapped hole at the rear end to fix the position of the bit-holder. Finally, I made a pointed locking grub screw to clamp the other grubs screw in place. Details are on https://youtube.com/ and drawings are here. I can send the DXF on request, I can’t upload it here
I gave a talk to the Radio Society of Great Britain Convention on Oct 9th 2021 via Youtube. The recorded section is on my Youtube page at https://youtu.be/7GINqOnwxCc
It would be hugely helpful if you have a Youtube login if you could subscribe to my channel https://youtube.com/MachiningandMicrowaves
The RSGB recording includes the interview section by Jim Lee. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_78oR9SZRc
The series of videos about making a rotary mast clamp for VHF/UHF/Microwave portable contest operating is also on my Youtube channel. Latest episode is the final assembly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNpHqtuJ-Ik
I’m working on a simple, waterproof, reproducible design for a 10 GHz dish feed for folks who are taking part in the group buy project to build F6BVA 10 GHz to UHF transverters. This uses a probe launch into a round waveguide machined from solid aluminium. The lens is made from Rexolite 1422, which is a free-machining cross-linked polystyrene with well-defined relative permittivity and a loss tangent of about 0.0004. This one is designed for a rather flat offset dish I have with equivalent f/d about 0.75, but I will be doing some for more common offset dishes
I’m working on an elevation pivot plate for a large 70cm moonbounce array for a friend. The design uses a 40 x 30cm plate with clamps and alignment blocks to carry GRP and aluminium tubes to support the array and LNA/phasing harness. This is the first stage, making the knuckle and pivot pin and bearing bushes/carriers. The bodies are aluminium, the shaft is 316 stainless steel and the bushes are phosphor bronze. It will have dust caps and grease nipples. The bushes are in two parts with a 1mm grease groove between them
So far, it is looking OK. More to follow.
The original concept for the knuckle is here: http://www.g4dbn.uk/?p=1618 and this is the story so far of the machining,
Aluminium 75 x 100 x 150 mm
20mm stainless shaft with milled flats
50mm stub mast
DB0MU/b is a tremendous signal this evening in IO93NR on 10 GHz. Peaking 65 dB over noise in 12 Hz bins. 591 km/367 miles
And here is a spur from PI7ALK on 10368.0916 at the bottom of the band!
I’ve just completed a batch of 24 of these W2IMU feedhorns for the 122 GHz band. Thread as usual is M8 x 0.5 mm. Horn ID is 4.03 mm, 27.1 degree internal flare, 2.00 mm reamed waveguide core, rear duplexer cavity for VK3CV boards, four M2 threaded holes, 4.00 mm reamed barrel, 3.98 mm spigot on the waveguide. This is the version 2 with a flat step as the end stop. Rather than relying on the 7.5 mm tapping drill to make the bottom of the threaded section, I now machine that using a centre-cutting M7 end mill. Part number for this version is DBN-122-IMU-0.7-02 and price to bona-fide 122 GHz experimenters is £14
One of the main contests of the year for me is the CQ Worldwide 160 metre CW (Morse code) competition at the end of January. Here is a snapshot of the activity between 1810 kHz and 1900 kHz. The section around 1842 kHz is FT8, and there is a little WSPR traffic just above 1836.
I had enormous fun with a compromise antenna and only 5 watts from my FDM-DUO SDR, but I worked plenty of US stations as far as Texas and Ohio. Click the [ ] to show it full-screen
I needed a couple of transitions, so decided to try to make a very simple narrowband design, optimised for 10368 MHz with low loss and a good match over a few hundred MHz. I ran up a design with rounded corners to the cavity to make it simple to machine using an 8 mm slot drill. I chose aluminium for the body as it performs well, although without anodising, it is going to need protection from the elements. I used some good quality Radiall SMA four-hole flange-mount sockets.
Although this looks a simple part, the instructions I make for myself show the level of detail.
I’ll publish the measured performance soon. So far, I can get around -23dB across ±100MHz. Once optimised, I will have some of these for sale to bona-fide experimenters. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details